The photo project “Atlas of Beauty” took photographer Mihaela Noroc to 37 countries, where she saw endless versions of beauty over 15 months.
1. Two years ago Romania-based photographer Mihaela Noroc decided she needed a change in her life.
2. “I had jobs that I didn’t like. I was working just for money, had exhausting and uniform days, and I realized that all my life could be like this,” she told BuzzFeed News.
3. A vacation abroad inspired her to make a change.
El Paico, Chile
4. “A trip to Ethiopia showed me some wonderful women, far away from our modern world and trends. This was the moment when I realized that beauty is everywhere and I could show this to all the world.”
Omo Valley, Ethiopia
5. This led to her photo project “Atlas of Beauty,” where she spent the next 15 months traveling the world taking pictures of women in 37 different countries.
6. She told BuzzFeed that there are many aspects to beauty:
Plantou Tibetan, China
7. “We shouldn’t lose our cultures, traditions, and origins because these make us different and beautiful.”
8. But the trip wasn’t always easy.
10. Though ultimately, the project affirmed Noroc’s beliefs.
11. “I can say that every day of traveling confirms to me that beauty really is everywhere,” she said.
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
12. Mihaela hopes to continue her ambitious project and plans to travel to even more countries in the future.
“I want to publish the first edition of the ‘Atlas of Beauty’ after I make another journey,” she said. “I need more images and more diversity to show that we live in an amazing world.”