If you had any artistic integrity, you’d buy a pair now.
1. These are a very early prototype of the new Adidas Yeezy 750 Boost. (They’re now a darker shade of gray and the shoelaces have been upgraded a tad.)
2. They were designed by the man seen wearing them here, Kanye West.
3. Here’s a video showing the shoe’s intricate design.
From Adidas: “The YEEZY BOOST is Kanye West’s first collaboration with adidas Originals. The limited-edition sneaker is exquisitely designed featuring beautiful yet simple materials. The silhouette transcends footwear trends and champions the next way of thinking about sneaker fashion. Featuring adidas’ coveted boost cushioning technology, the YEEZY BOOST will combine the ultimate in comfort and performance with high-end style.”
4. This week Kanye has been bumping around New York City’s Fashion Week promoting the Boost, which was released on Valentine’s. The hype worked. And, as soon as the shoe was released, all 9,000 limited-edition pairs sold out instantly.
5. The Boost, which retailed at $350, is currently being sold on eBay for a Buy It Now price of between $2,000 and $2,300.
Bids for the shoes have gone as high as $1,600, and the average price on eBay seems to hover around $1,200, nearly four times the retail price.
6. Kanye really is, as GQ puts it, a master of marketing, and the ramp-up to the shoe’s release this week has been nothing short of remarkable. He even got wife Kim to wear them (pictured below).
Really. Squint hard and you’ll see the shoe’s “silhouette transcends footwear trends and champions the next way of thinking about sneaker fashion.”